NORWALK FIRE DEPARTMENT
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE
TITLE: Pre-connect Hose Stretch, Private Dwelling
DATE: November 1, 2009
The purpose of this document is to establish a “Norwalk Fire Department standard method” of stretching a pre-connected hose line that all members of the department will use. Training will be conducted for all personnel to ensure the concepts are understood, and to reinforce the use of this method.
1. Firefighter assignments:
- Nozzle man: TOP (2)loops (Approx. 60’).
b. Hydrant man: Bottom (2)loops.
- Officer will make the determination as to what type of nozzle and length.
- The Nozzle man will be responsible for pulling the proper pre-connect from the proper side. (On apparatus with side discharges).
a. AT NO TIME SHOULD THE HOSE BE BROUGHT OVER THE CROSSLAYS OR CAB OF THE ENGINE.
b. If need be, it will be the responsibility of the Driver to disconnect the line and reconnect it on the proper side.
- While pulling the top (2) loops, the Nozzle man will grab the hose as it comes off the engine, flip it upside down, and proceed to walk approximately five (5) feet away the engine and STOP.
a. The hose should be resting over the forearm.
b. While waiting for the Hydrant man, the Nozzle man will grab the nozzle and hold it in the opposite hand of the hose.
- The Nozzle man will wait for the Hydrant man to grab the next set of loops.
- The Hydrant man will pull the bottom (2) loops, flip it upside down, and proceed to move away from the Engine.
a. The Driver will be responsible for seeing that the remainder of hose is flaked out from the bed.
b. AT NO TIME SHOULD THE HOSE BE LEFT IN A PILE ALONGSIDE THE ENGINE.
7. The Nozzle man will make his way to the front entrance of the fire building or designated area.
8. The Hydrant man will attempt to follow the Nozzle man, staying several feet away. (This will allow the Hydrant man to flake the hose off his arm first)
9. When the Nozzle man reaches the front door (designated area):
a. Using the same side leg that is being used to carry the hose, the Nozzle man STEPS BACK on the hose that is trailing him.
b. While holding the nozzle in the opposite hand, the Nozzle man tosses the bundle of hose to the ground (several feet away).
c. The Nozzle man kneels on the hose that was being stepped on and kneels on the hose abutting the nozzle.
d. This will prevent it from being pulled out from under them.
e. At this point the Nozzle man should don his mask and other PPE.
f. The Nozzle man should NOT take his weight off the hose until it is flaked out.
10. While the Nozzle man dons his mask, the Hydrant man quickly finishes
flaking out his hose.
11. When the Hydrant man has finished flaking out the hose, he will grab a
fold from the middle of the hose the Nozzle man has tossed down (look
for and try to grab a coupling if available [50’ lengths only]).
a. The hydrant man will proceed in the opposite direction to the entrance (when possible), creating a loop in the hose and a straight path for the hose to advance (should be 25’- 30’ back from the entrance if possible).
12. It will be the responsibility of the Hydrant man to see that all hose is
flaked out properly.
13. When enough line is properly in position, the Officer will call for water (NOTE: if the Officer is preoccupied by the occupants or is completing his 360° of the building, the nozzle man may call for water when ready).
a. By opening the nozzle fully, the Nozzle man will bleed the line, dispelling any air and ensuring the proper psi.
b. The Nozzle man and officer will enter on the same side of the line and proceed to the fire.
14.The Hydrant man will quickly take out any kinks that may have formed and finish donning his mask and PPE.
15.The Hydrant man will feed the hose into the building and around any corners.
a. When this has been achieved, he will meet up with the officer at the Nozzle to provide backup and relief.
16. The Nozzle man will have the option to:
a. Call for more line.
b. Open the nozzle in an emergency.
c. Determine the rate of advance.
d. Determine when to sweep the floor with the nozzle.
G:\SOP's\2.0 Operations\2.004.01_hose stretch.doc